July 18 Shchusev 18:15 - 19:15 | Creativity , Enviroment
Museum Neighborhoods as the Agents of Urban Development
Museum islands, museum quarters and museum towns inside the city are important urban design solutions seen in many culturally lively cities. They are vast spaces organised under by one vision (Abu Dhabi), managed by one state-owned institution (Museum Island in Berlin) or devised under an urban planning strategy (the culture hub in London). Moscow, too, is preparing to inaugurate a museum quarter and expand three major museums – the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, the Tretyakov Gallery’s new building, and the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art. The new museum belt in central Moscow will develop in dialogue with the city and will shape the lives of generations of Muscovites.
- How should the museum of the future look like?
- What impact will it have on the city and the society in the next ten years?
- What is the role of the museum in forming and developing the human capital of the city?
- How should the new museum quarter evolve?
- Can a museum cluster help rank the city among cultural leaders?